«In principle, the Government believes that all scientific papers resulting from publicly funded research should be openly available.» Klima for forskning (St.meld. Nr. 30:2008-09)/Climate for Research, a White paper on research.
Why Open Access?
- Because information and knowledge should be freely available
- Because the research is shared in solidarity with those who can not afford to purchase access to it
- Because the research is paid for with tax money
- Because Open Access contributes to increased distribution of research - including new user groups
- Because the author do not relinquish all rights to the publication to a publisher
Open Access in Norway
The Norwegian government’s goal is that all pubclicly funded Norwegian research articles should be made openly available by 2024, and the government has established guidelines and measures for open access to research articles.
A White Paper was published in August 2017.
CERES is national coordinator for Open Access in Norway.